Friday, February 8, 2013

When You Need Armor


He stood in the middle of the battlefield. The enemy was there, ready to make the first move, but waiting for the opportune moment. They looked at him. They watched him. He was vulnerable.

When he woke up and walked out of the house he didn't stop to put on his armor. He used to put on his armor every day, but he got busy. He got busy and never needed it anyway. He walked out of the house and met his friends. He went through life with them and encountered the difficulties of life, but nothing he needed armor for.


Eventually he forgot about the armor. He woke up and left the house without even glancing at the closet on his way out. There it sat, oiled and ready for the day of battle. There it sat, shiny and new though he received it years ago. There it sat.

And now he needed it.

He walked out of the house and found himself on the battlefield. The day had caught up to him like a thief in the night. No, he had said, the thief won’t come today. No, he said, the thief won’t come today either.
And the thief was there, lining the battlefield and making plans to attack. They stood there watching him, calculating his armorless defenses. They closed in. They struck the first blow. He didn't stand a chance.
What am I doing here? How did I get here without my armor? He asked himself. What was I thinking when I left the house? What was I thinking when I said, tomorrow I will put on my armor but not today?

He fell to his enemies. He fell and they fell on top of him as he cried out.

Save me! he cried. Save me.

And the enemy fell back. And there was his armor in front of him. He looked up to see his captain sitting there on a snowy horse. The captain held his gaze for a moment before drawing his sword and engaging the enemy.

Today is the day, the captain said as he pushed them back.

As the captain engaged the army, the man put on his armor, thankful for a second chance. He picked up his sword, laced on his boots, and followed his captain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment