Thursday, December 25, 2014

If Superheroes were Real

They say all legends have a grain of truth, and old myths are more fact than not, but most have forgotten the truth. We trees live long though, and some of us still remember the time superheroes ruled the earth. The sons of God had children with the daughters of men, and their deeds won renown throughout heaven and earth.

Not long ago, by the reckoning of trees, the superheroes came to an end. It was some 2,000 years ago in the spring, and while the three wise men, the astrologer, the alchemist, the herbalist, and the librarian still traveled from the east on their camels, the superheroes flocked to Bethlehem. Mary and Joseph stood guard beside the cradle. Both spent their lives training for this moment, though neither fully understood until now. They were armed to the teeth, but their robes hid their weapons and their hoods hid their eyes. With arms crossed, they stood between the dapple grey horse and the sheep to protect their God. He came in the night and the star burst over the stable, sending messages across the world, to Batman and Black Panther and Red Tornado and Wonder Woman. The time had come. The Hero had arrived. 


The man in a red cape walked in, the one they called Superman, and knelt at the manger.

“I have come, my King,” Superman said.

“Well done, Superman. You have been faithful with all I have given you. The world is a safer place because of your efforts. You have done well in preparation for my coming, and I relieve you of your duties.”

“Thank you, my liege.”

Iron man entered with helmet open and Jarvis silenced. He knelt and placed his fist over the arc reactor as Superman rose and left the cave and the earth far behind.

“Well done, Iron Man. You have been a good and faithful servant. You have lead The Avengers with honor. I have arrived, and you are relieved of your duties.”

“Thank you, my King,” Iron Man said. He took the arc reactor from his chest and laid it at Jesus' feet before staggering from the cave. 

“King Jesus,” the horse said, “I would be your warhorse if you asked, but alas I am not white.”

“You are a noble beast, and will serve many men. You will carry them far and serve them well. You will do all this long before I need a horse. My time has come, but not the time of the White Horse.”

Link walked in wearing forest green. He pulled forth shield and sword and Mary and Joseph threw back their cloaks, revealing their own weapons beneath. But Link drove his sword into the earth at the manger’s foot and stood the shield against it.

“My King, I have come at your bidding.”

“You have saved all of Hyrule, and through your many quests have given hope to man. Well done, my servant. I relieve you of your duties.”

“Thank you, my King.”

"One day I will die. The people will kill me for their sins. Will it hurt?" asked the lamb.

"It will hurt, my child, but so they will do to me. Soon the lambs will no longer die, for I am the Lamb. I will pay the price for the entire world. Have courage."

And the superheroes continued to come. Hawk Eye and Green Arrow entered together and laid their bows at Jesus’ feet. Black Widow gave over her guns. Captain America surrendered his shield. The Canary gave up her voice. Megamind returned to his fallen blue planet. Green Lantern turned over his ring. Vash the Stampede laid down his gun and mechanical arm. The Jedi laid down their light sabers, and the Ninja turtles removed their masks and laid down their weapons. They all came and left their prized possessions at Jesus’ feet. Since his arrival, their services were no longer needed. The Hero of all heroes had arrived, and from now on, he would handle it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment