Friday, May 31, 2013

Dear Fir--Am I being punished?

Dear Fir,

Sometimes I wonder if I was made for more. No, that’s not right, I know I was made for more, but I don’t know what else to do. I was made to wander the face of the earth, but my roots remain in the ground. I feel the rocks there, holding me back, and I know I will never be able to move through the soil like the fish swim in the sea.


Legends tell of tree shepherds who once wandered among us and led us from here to there. Where have they gone? Why do I stand here, day after day, and look to the same constellations in the sky? My friend, the Joshua tree, tells me of glorious constellations I have never seen, and I am afraid I will never see them.

I wonder if I should give up on my dreams, if I should sink deep into my clump of soil and stop looking for more, or keep trying. Should I attempt to wade through the earth, though the soil constricts around me? Should I even look out over the mountains with longing? Or is it a useless idea?

Please, tell me Fir tree. I don't know what to do. I don't know if it's worth pushing on into an abyss of impossible dreams, of if I was never made for them anyway. 

Is there something wrong with me? Am I being punished, and is that why I am so confused?

Your Birch Tree

1 comment:

  1. Dear Birch Tree,
    I don't think you are being punished. I think you have 2 good choices before you. Roots are good - ask the tumble weeds. On the other hand, maybe you will have a chance to travel some how, some day, and that will be good too. Maybe it's not punishment, but "all things in their own time". One thing we do know; we should all get one day's growth out of each day.

    ReplyDelete